[luau] Opinions on how big should linux partitions be (Newbie Question)

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu Jan 30 08:12:01 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 02:21:02AM -1000, demon_jr808 wrote:
>    I think I am going to go with the setup recommended in the
>    documentation I have. A different partition for root, home, etc.

(It is often a religious debate.)

I try to have a /, /usr, /var, and /tmp on each install, however,
I have on occasion install only one large /. I lean that way
towards desktop and test systems. I always install one large /
on a new OS, because I have no idea what directory tree will be
consuming the most space. On an OS/distro/purpose that I am more
familiar with, I am more likely to be meticulous about how the
filesystem sizes are allocated.

-Vince