[luau] Opinions on how big should linux partitions be (Newbie Question)

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Jan 30 09:06:00 PST 2003

On Thursday 30 January 2003 02:21 am, demon_jr808 wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Newbie question:
>
> I'm trying to determine how big my linux partitions should be. I have
> around 2GB to work with and 128MB ram.
>
> I think I am going to go with the setup recommended in the documentation I
> have. A different partition for root, home, etc.
>
> So, how should I determine what size to make each partition?
>
> Should all the partitions be relatively the same size or would it be more
> effecient if some partitions are smaller than others, such as root?
>
> I am guessing that the partition that will be storing the most data should
> be made the biggest, but I am wondering if there are better suggestions out
> there.

Generally /usr grows the largest because it is the home of applications.
Because you have just 2 gb, you may do yourself by not partitioning the drive
into sub-partitions.  If you make /var bigger than it has to be, it may come
at the expense of the space of /usr which will limit the apps you can
install.  By using one / partition (and one swap partition) you can be sure
that all the directories will equally share the 2gb.  If you had, say, a 10gb
drive, then I would say to divide into separate partitions and install, but
with just 2gb there is a lot of room for frustration.

scott