[luau] Greetings

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 16 12:07:00 PST 2003

demon_jr808 wrote:
> I am considering purchasing the following laptop and installing Linux on
> it:
>
> Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT
> 486/75mhz
> 8mb ram
> 700mb hard drive
>
> I am unsure what distribution of Linux to install on it and how
> difficult the install process would actually be.
>
> I want to use the laptop as a learning ground for Linux as well as a
> place to create simple web pages, so I assume I would need some kind of
> graphical interface as well.
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated and I look forward to hearing
> from the Linux community in Hawaii.
>
> Thanks!

Hi, welcome to our community.

Unfortunately, that system you mention would be far too underpowered to
run any graphical environment.  486's and low end Pentiums these days
can do well as servers and routers, but minimum for decent performance
with GUI and desktop software would probably be Pentium 200MHz with at
least 128MB RAM.

If you have an existing computer running Windows you may consider "dual
booting".  You make another partition on your hard drive and install
Linux within it.  When you turn the computer on it displays a menu,
letting you choose either Windows or Linux.

If you need any help with any aspect of Linux please feel free to post
here, or come to our events mentioned http://www.mplug.org or
http://www.hosef.org.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com