[luau] Greetings

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Thu Jan 16 22:37:00 PST 2003

> demon_jr808 wrote:
> >I am considering purchasing the following laptop and installing Linux on
> >it:
> >
> >Toshiba Satellite Pro T2150CDT
> >486/75mhz
> >8mb ram
> >700mb hard drive
> >
> Unfortunately, that system you mention would be far too underpowered to
> run any graphical environment.  486's and low end Pentiums these days
> can do well as servers and routers, but minimum for decent performance
> with GUI and desktop software would probably be Pentium 200MHz with at
> least 128MB RAM.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your advice Warren :)  This is a fine laptop for X-Windows.  The 486DX was a BLAZING fast CPU back in the day!  486's are, to this day, being used as GUI workstations.

Linux + X-Windows will run fine on a 486 laptop like this.  There are a several caveats though - The first is RAM, this laptop should be upgraded to 32mb (or 64mb if possible) - X will run on 8mb, but it will not be very responsive.  The second issue to be aware of is that the older Toshiba laptops require special installation disks.

Historically, Toshiba Satellite laptops have been well supported by Debian, so that would be the distribution I'd use.  Be aware that the Debian install does not "hold your hand."  I would prepare yourself by either reading the Debian installation manual or visiting #debian on irc.freenode.net  beforehand.

take care,
charles