[luau] learning the hardware end

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Feb 24 16:32:01 PST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 02:39 pm, Luis aka Rigpa wrote:

>    For some time I have thought that it would be great for schools, or a
> non-profit organization, to aquire donated PCs, break them down to
> individual components (motherboards, video cards, HD, etc.) and create a
> course designd to teach kids how to put together their own computer.  It
> would be something like 'shop' class.  The students, with assistance from
> an instructor, would gather the necesary components and put together their
> own computer, from hardware all the way to installing the OS, applications,
> and setting up a network.  This would give students a full spectrum of
> technical knowlege as opposed to walking into a computer lab where
> everything has been set up for them and all they get to do is learn how to
> run a few apps.

My posts about our tasks with HOSEF can be long-winded, but you have
described exactly what we do.  It is not in the formal setting of a class,
but I continuously ask anyone to come down and do anything Linux related,
including building a PC.

Organizing this in a scheduled class is a great idea.  I ordered the
components for 10 PC's that the Kailua Redemption Academy wanted.  I did two
classes for them in which we assembled the PC's and installed Linux.  It was
a great success and with some initiative (probably from others, I am getting
crushed now) we can begin to offer that with other classes in the works at
our HOSEF meetings.

>    It is possible that such a class could provide HOSEF with the manpower
> required to meet the demand for computer labs at schools.  An added bounus
> would be the pride those students would have in knowing that they were an
> integral part of making their school's computer lab a reality.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

You thought them, and they are very good ones.

> BTW - At the moment I'm a little transportation-challenged.  Once I get my
> wheels back on the road (sometime next week) I would be more than willing
> to help set up some of those boxes you guys need help with.  I'll do my
> best to make it to Murphy's this friday and meet some of you.

There are others like you.  Perhaps we should look into what Vince suggested
and try to organize some carpools.

thanks for taking the time to make some suggestions.  we need you.

scott