[luau] learning the hardware end

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Mon Feb 24 22:55:00 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:39:50 -1000
"Luis aka Rigpa" <rigpa108 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> For some time I have thought that it would be great for schools, or a
> non-profit organization, to aquire donated PCs, break them down to
> individual components (motherboards, video cards, HD, etc.) and create a
> course designd to teach kids how to put together their own computer.  It
> would be something like 'shop' class.  The students, with assistance
> from an instructor, would gather the necesary components and put
> together their own computer, from hardware all the way to installing the
> OS, applications, and setting up a network.  This would give students a
> full spectrum of technical knowlege as opposed to walking into a
> computer lab where everything has been set up for them and all they get
> to do is learn how to run a few apps.

Thank you for assuring me that my self-made computer idea is not totally
farfetched. Yes, others have said as much, but to me it makes perfect
sense. When I was a boy we did wood shop and print shop and metal shop,
not to mention auto shop. Why not computer shop?

If you have a minute you might enjoy a little essay I've written on
this subject, entitled "Self-made Tools."
http://www.aloha.com/~knowtree/selfmade.html

--