[luau] our economy

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 21:30:01 PST 2003

re: If you don't like it leave...With out real
competition why raise salaries?...we live on an island
and its a big decision to leave or stay

OK, I guess there's my answer.  I think however that
makes it problematic if not impossible to grow
technology in Hawaii in any significant way (could be
wrong and actually I would like to have that be true
in spite of my gripes about salaries.)

There will always be people who decide to live in
Hawaii and accept the salary/COL ratio.  That's fine.
But to me this means _small_ industry, _small_ growth,
and _small_ thinking.  That's also fine but...

This attitude directly affects the quality of
education, the overall economy of the state and a host
of other things related to that.  Now that pineapple
and sugar cane has died out, Hawaii is, as far as I
can see, a two-trick pony: tourism and the government
either federal or state.  Technology is such a natural
to help fill this gap but I think it never will in any
significant way unless things loosen up.  A shame.

As to the issue of building up the educational
infrastructure, another problem area that has been
raised, I'm an adjuct instructor in comp. sci. at HPU
and I'll have to remain skeptical that you can create
a generation of world class technologists who are
content to stay in Hawaii under the present
conditions.  I hope to be proven wrong.

=====
Stan Baptista - sbaptista at yahoo.com
Webawocky Website Designs