[luau] our economy

Jim at JimRoby.com Jim at JimRoby.com
Fri Feb 21 22:21:01 PST 2003

Dustin Cross wrote:
> I don't think I can buy into the "a few guys control everything" reason for
> low salaries.
>
> I think it has more to do with the people that stay in Hawaii.  The best
> and the brightest of Hawaii tend to LEAVE the island as soon as they can
> and they don't come back for years if ever.  This has been happening for
> decades.  Most leave for college and few return.  Most people who stay in
> Hawaii are happy with the status quo, they aren't the people who want to be
> CEOs and make massive salaries, though some very ambitious and talented

Yes but it is hard to deny the historic model of the big 5,A&B,Castle
&Cook etc. We used to have BP gas stations,only a few years ago they
changed their corporate name to shield their foreign ownership.There is
still existing a real flavor of colonialism.I was surprised to learn how
many sugar plantations on the Big Island were offshore owned,even
McBride from UK would hire their managers from all over the world.Knew a
French girl whos father was out here with them.It seems like to do
business out here takes big capital,and with it goes big
rewards;ofcourse at the expense of the locals who don't seem to have the
wear with all to put it together.Interesting your other point on the
brain drain.