[luau] our economy

Jim at JimRoby.com Jim at JimRoby.com
Fri Feb 21 22:05:01 PST 2003

Stan Baptista wrote:
> re: with a small group of businessmen controlling most
> of what goes on in this economy.
>
> That might make sense.  I was born and raised here and
> I have heard this comment before.  Pardon my ignorance
> but, if this is true, how do "they" go about
> controlling salaries?  Sorry for beating this poor
> horse to death but I just don't believe the costs here
> are higher than places like Silicon Valley.

Yes interesting,we see that our last Govt. collected $100mil
in fines from the oil refiners for price fixing,does not do much for the
consumer but shows something does exist.Food is outreageously expensive,
compared to mainland (I've been out here 30 yrs,but occasionally a
relative arrives and fun to see their face at the food store)and I'm
told it is not just cost plus(price+shipping) I was told years ago by a
boss who defected to Nevada (no personal income tax) that his workmans
comp rates were the highest in the country.He was complaining as to what
it cost to put us guys on the job.I imagine that some of it is the
liberalness of the State Govt.(a double edged sword;nice to see folks
housed and fed,it's Aloha)and some may be ole boy gauging.