[luau] Verizon DSL

yuser at hi.net yuser at hi.net
Wed Feb 19 15:44:01 PST 2003

On 19 Feb 2003 at 14:11, Casey Roberts wrote:

> One of the downers of having a cable connection versus
> a DSL connection is that cable modem users actually
> share bandwith with other users in that area.

I understand the theory of CM operation and am aware of the shared
concept of a local node but at what point in the DSL path does your
bandwidth mix with the others?  Is it at the CO or further up?  At
some point a local area or group of individuals would have to be
sharing a common pipe.  Is this point far enough away that some of
the traffic has already left for other destinations?

I always hear this as a downside with CM but after looking at this
big picture, isn't DSL sharing bandwidth also, just a little further
up the stream?

I have Comcast on the mainland now and they are very different then
the RR I had in Hawaii a few years ago.  RR had local content and
mirrors that were hosted locally and were always fast, even during
peak times when off island access was slower.  I never really noticed
the local nodes getting bogged down, it was always the pipe to the
outside, beyond the shared bandwidth zone.  Maybe I was on a
relatively unloaded local node.