[luau] Verizon DSL

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Feb 19 13:35:00 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:44:30PM -1000, Randall Oshita wrote:
> Also, keep in mind that Verizon has a CIR (or something like
> that I forget the letters) of only 10%. That means that they
> only guarantee 10% of your desinated plan speed. If you have a
> plan of 768/768 NO WAY are you ever going to have speeds that
> fast, the guarantee is only .10 of 768 which is 76K!!! So as
> long as you get 76k speeds you cannot protest Verizon.

Committed information rate. I am suprised you even got a number.
If I were a broadband provider to residential customers, I would
not provide any CIR. There are too many variables that would make
it cost prohibitive to guarantee anything. IMHO, having a low CIR
would just make me look bad.

> If you get RR and run servers, there are always programs you
> can get off the Net that will adapt to dynamic IPs.

Sure, that helps you keep your hostname resolving to the right
IP, but you still might be violating an AUP (acceptable usage
policy).

Where I live, bandwidth from a cable modem far exceeds that of
DSL. And, it was cheaper. Web browsing was fine. Leeching was an
absolute dream.

However, since I use a lot of interactive SSH sessions to the
mainland, latency was very important in deciding which service to
keep. With DSL, the latency hovered between 70 - 90 ms. The cable
modem was much more erratic, fluctuating constantly over 200 ms,
especially during peak usage times.

In the end, I bid farewell to high bandwidth and settled for
decent latency. I switched to DSL.

(This is my switcher story. *beep* *beep* *beep*.)

-Vince