[luau] Verizon DSL

Randall Oshita roshita at uniserveinc.com
Wed Feb 19 12:40:01 PST 2003

>>Also I personally wouldn't use Verizon if I were
>>running any servers that needed to be accessed from
>>the Internet, due to the high prices they charge for a
>>static IP.  For 768Kbps download/128Kbps upload with a
>>static IP, I was quoted $59.95 a month.  For 1.5Mbps
>>download/128Kbps with static IP, I was quoted 89.95.
>>If I were to put up a server on the Internet from
>>home, I'd use Roadrunner.  They only charge an
>>additional $5 for static IP.
>>
>>Casey Roberts

Also, keep in mind that Verizon has a CIR (or something like that I
forget the letters) of only 10%. That means that they only guarantee 10%
of your desinated plan speed.  If you have a plan of 768/768 NO WAY are
you ever going to have speeds that fast, the guarantee is only .10 of
768 which is 76K!!! So as long as you get 76k speeds you cannot protest
Verizon.
If you get RR and run servers, there are always programs you can get off
the Net that will adapt to dynamic IPs.
And I don't think they fired that one Verizon worker that sawed through
those lines awhile back, which killed a lot of DSL customers.

Randall