[luau] Verizon DSL

Casey Roberts utexan01 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 12:10:01 PST 2003

--- Dustin Cross <dusty at sandust.com> wrote:

>  Roadrunner is MUCH faster and a little
> cheaper than what I pay, but Flex doesn't care that
> I have my own mail and web server and Flex is NEVER
> down.  If you don't need to run any servers, I
> would spend the extra $5 per month and get
Roadrunner.

I currently use Verizon DSL for about a year now, and
I have had only had 2 outages for a total of 3 hours
down during that time.  It really depends on where you
live if DSL is a better choice or not.  I live on a
block of highrise apartments behind Pearlridge Mall,
where a master station is located, so I get towards
the faster spectrum of DSL bandwidth.

One of the downers of having a cable connection versus
a DSL connection is that cable modem users actually
share bandwith with other users in that area.  Another
reason that I chose DSL over cable was that my
building has 300 units, and there are at least 7 other
buildings the same size.  With cable you could have a
killer connection at 11 PM, but at 5 PM, your
connection could slow down.  With DSL, you have
dedicated bandwidth.  I have friends with cable modems
that can get downloads sometimes faster than 10Mbps,
but then at peak times, they can drag.  DSL peak
speeds aren't as fast as cable, but it's a steady
stream.  Just remember that the farther you live from
the DSL switch station (the point of the network where
the DSL Access Multiplexer [DSLAM] resides), you get
less bandwidth due to signal degradation.

Also I personally wouldn't use Verizon if I were
running any servers that needed to be accessed from
the Internet, due to the high prices they charge for a
static IP.  For 768Kbps download/128Kbps upload with a
static IP, I was quoted $59.95 a month.  For 1.5Mbps
download/128Kbps with static IP, I was quoted 89.95.
If I were to put up a server on the Internet from
home, I'd use Roadrunner.  They only charge an
additional $5 for static IP.

Casey Roberts