[luau] daemons running as root

cpaul at telemetrybox.org cpaul at telemetrybox.org
Tue Feb 11 15:14:01 PST 2003

Here is a python script I wrote to change user ids for daemons:

#####

#!/usr/bin/env python
import os,pwd
from sys import argv

def c_uid(u):
	try:
		uid = int(u)
		os.setuid(uid)
	except ValueError:
		uid = pwd.getpwnam(u)[2]
		os.setuid(uid)

def c_dir(dir,chroot=0):
	os.chdir(dir)
	if chroot != 0 :
		os.chroot(dir)

if __name__ == "__main__":
	if len(argv) < 4:
		print "Usage: %s user directory command" % (argv[0])
	else:
		c_dir(argv[2])
		c_uid(argv[1])
		pid = os.spawnvpe(os.P_NOWAIT, argv[3], argv[3:], os.environ)
		print "%s running with pid: %s" % (argv[3], pid)

###

setuid(), chdir() and chroot() in the system should help too (for C)

peace,
charles