[luau] daemons running as root

tburns at despammed.com tburns at despammed.com
Tue Feb 11 14:12:00 PST 2003

>> How does one get daemons to
>>run as a user other than root?

>It depends on what service you are
>trying to run.

In this particular case, sshd. But what if  I just wanted to run some arbitrary shell script as "nobody"? How would I do it?

Maybe:

su - nobody
shell_script &
exit

or

su nobody -c shell_script

>> I tried using:
>>
>> su <username> -c <invoke daemon>
>That should work on linux, though
>check to make sure IRIX
>implements -c.

The man page is weird, -c is mentioned in the text but not in the list of switches?

> >Are the daemons supposed to
>>change their own privilege level?

>Some do, mostly the ones thatneed
>to be run as root initially (to point to
>port  less than 1024

Maybe that's part of my problem in this instance, I am trying to start sshd. But I got the whole thing out of SGI's troubleshooting section, they say "make a user with the name sshd, home dir is <I forget>, shell is /bin/false, password * so it can't log in. They didn't say what UID to give it, maybe I should mess with that.

Delerious Dave