[luau] daemons running as root

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Feb 11 15:06:01 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 07:14:12PM -0500, tburns at despammed.com wrote:
> In this particular case, sshd.

Why would you want to start it as nobody? You are supposed to
start sshd as root. The application itself handles dropping
privileges and chrooting.

> Maybe that's part of my problem in this instance, I am
> trying to start sshd. But I got the whole thing out of SGI's
> troubleshooting section, they say "make a user with the name
> sshd, home dir is <I forget>, shell is /bin/false, password *
> so it can't log in. They didn't say what UID to give it, maybe
> I should mess with that.

That smells like setting up privsep for OpenSSH. The home dir is
normally /var/empty. You start sshd as root.

Here is more info:
    http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/ssh/privsep.html

-Vince