[luau] daemons running as root

tburns at despammed.com tburns at despammed.com
Tue Feb 11 16:13:01 PST 2003

>Why would you want to start [sshd] as nobody? You are supposed to
>start sshd as root. The application itself handles dropping
>privileges and chrooting.

If only! sshd ends up running as root, both if I start it manually or if I reboot/restart the service.

And as I say, many (all?) of my other daemons run as root also, isn't this considered a security problem? Could I have messed up my passwd file or something? What would make my init process run everything as root? What log file should I be peeping at to find "hey, I tried to lower my privileges, but I failed."

Diffused Dave