[luau] Friday night IRC meeting, Linux for Hawaii schools

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Feb 6 14:11:01 PST 2003

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Jeff Zidek has arranged for 1500, not a mis-type, 1500, Pentium 166
> machines from Hickam.  This is likely to be about 30 pallets worth.  The
> P166's we have received so far tend to have 3COM 3C905 nics, at least
> 16mb of ram, and pci video cards.  Even if 1/3 are junk, we are still
> talking about an amazing quantity of hardware.  Regretfully, if I was
> able to find the space to store all of these, the few of us volunteering
> our time would be overwhelmed.  You can help.  We can use your help.
> Perhaps you or your business could help store them.  We have people who
> want computers.  We have computers to give them.  We have enough
> resources to create the revenue to buy servers for them.  We even have
> the hardware to build light but effective Terminal Servers.  We just
> need some of your volunteer time to make it all happen.
>
> scott

1500 is a HUGE number.  Due to the immediate storage problem that this
causes, we need to quickly find schools at which to implement LTSP labs.

Friday, February 7th, 2003
8:00pm
Channel #mplug on the Freenode IRC Network
http://freenode.net
irc://irc.freenode.net/mplug

We should get Big Island Linux Users Group
(http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/BILUG/) onboard during this meeting in order
to discuss the possibility of shipping hundreds of computers to their
island for their own LTSP rollouts at schools.

During this online meeting we should also discuss our public relations
efforts in getting Linux in local media (newspaper, magazine,
television) as well as ways of funding LTSP servers for schools.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com