[luau] New to Oahu, Open Source junkie jonesing

kmayer at bitwrangler.com kmayer at bitwrangler.com
Fri Dec 5 13:41:01 PST 2003

In January 2001 I burned the docklines (and left the workforce) in San
Francisco and sailed (literally) to Mexico (see
http://www.bitwrangler.com/wt/). I took an 18 month sabbatical and
stretched it to almost 3 years, thanks to frugal living and no thanks to
the down economy. I sailed 2,800 nautical miles to Hilo, and then kind
of gunk holed my way to Oahu. I'm looking for work. The cruising kitty
is pretty dry. Let's just say reentry into the workforce has not been as
easy as I had planned, back when things were still humming along
economically.

I'm flexible, although I would prefer open source related work, of
course. My skill set is what I call utility infielder. There's a lot of
sys admin work scattered about in my c.v. There's also quite a bit of
code crunching, too -- I'm a classically trained engineer. I like to
make things go.

I'm struggling with getting the interview pipeline going. It's always
tough rolling into a new town, I know, and I don't mind starting small,
part time or even shift work (in fact, that would be kind of cool since
I also teach SCUBA and would rather not give that up). It's been
frustrating: At least once a month there's an article about the "brain
drain" in Hawaii. I'd like to think that I've got a cup or two to put
back into the supply. The $64 question is "who's hiring and how do get
my voice heard over the din of other resumes flooding in."

My resume is online at my web site, http://www.bitwrangler.com/kmayer/
and I've got a cell phone, 808-936-2034 -- it's a Hilo cell phone, I got
it when I arrived, so you might need to dial 1-.... Some people have
said that they get a strange message when they call from a land-line,
which I wish could either reproduce or track down. Every time I try, I
get through without trouble. Just another hitch in my getalong.

Thanks,
Ken