[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - Your Help Needed

R.Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Thu Dec 4 11:27:00 PST 2003

On Wednesday, December 3, 2003, at 09:17 AM, Vince Hoang wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:31:44PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>> Is priority one to replace the failed drive for this array? If
>> so, what size? I can order it tomorrow. I am assuming that it
>> needs to match the other 120gb drive I donated last year.
>
> One of the root disks died. I believe both were 60GB drives. It
> is simplest when the replacement drive is the identical model,
> but not necessary. I would personally risk the added complexity
> by taking videl offline for several hours and moving the existing
> root to a brand new pair of higher capacity drives.

This was my motivation in buying a larger drive.  If installed now, it
solves redundancy issues but is not a true permanent solution.
Software raid with different sized drives has a few more steps, I
guess, with formatting, but this is not a big deal, is it?  With time,
though, enough money will be gathered to buy a matching larger drive
($177), and hopefully more.
When that time comes we can move to faster drives as Vince has
suggested.   The 160gb drive had a great price point, and it really
isn't that bad, is it?

>> Please wait before we drop it. When server 3 comes on line,
>> that will be 240 gb of raid storage at our disposal.
>
> The operative word is _when_. Michael?

actually_when_Scott? since Michael has already alerted me that server 3
was ready to return from McKinley and hit the rack.  My bad.

> -Vince

--scott