[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - Your Help Needed

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Dec 3 09:18:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:31:44PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> Is priority one to replace the failed drive for this array? If
> so, what size? I can order it tomorrow. I am assuming that it
> needs to match the other 120gb drive I donated last year.

One of the root disks died. I believe both were 60GB drives. It
is simplest when the replacement drive is the identical model,
but not necessary. I would personally risk the added complexity
by taking videl offline for several hours and moving the existing
root to a brand new pair of higher capacity drives.

> Server 3 that is coming from our friends at Pricebusters has
> 120gb of storage mirrored with software raid. Our plan is to
> host LUAU and other HOSEF lists there. What kind of space will
> this create on Videl, and can we make arrangements before we
> drop Mandrake and Debian PowerPC?

The entire mailman setup and HOSEF website together currently
utilize under 1GB of space.

> Please wait before we drop it. When server 3 comes on line,
> that will be 240 gb of raid storage at our disposal.

The operative word is _when_. Michael?

-Vince