[luau] videl.ics.hawaii.edu disk failure - Your Help Needed

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Dec 3 10:52:01 PST 2003

> On Wednesday, December 3, 2003, at 07:45 AM, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>> I really want to launch server 3 with more than 240GB storage... but
>> are
>> you sure you are doing your math right?  120GB 2x mirrored is not
>> 240GB... anyhow we'll figure it out.
>>

> My sentence may have been misleading.  What I mean is that, provided we
> mirror the current 120gb drive, we would have 240 gb between Videl and
> Server 3.

In order to have the entire mirror on a single host, we need all mirror
storage on a single server.  It is currently my thought to use the two
existing 120GB drives as RAID1 for the 3rd server's system, then add
several 250GB+ size drives to act as the new mirror.

Videl itself is not fast enough on the processor and memory side to run
all current services.  Having both Videl and the new 3rd server (which I
hope we can name pan.ics.hawaii.edu since "Pan" is Videl's daughter) will
allow us to harness the power of vserver, which allows us to physically
move an IP address along with vserver  instances from one physical host to
another.  This means that even if one physical server goes down, that
service can still run on the other physical server with the exact same
data and IP address, and the visitors don't know the difference.

In order to make this kind of flexiblity possible, we need around $1,100
in donation which I am confident we can do.

Now under this proposal, Pan would become the new mirror server.  The
current 120GB disk in Videl can go into a less powerful box that can
become the Oceanic mirror.  The Oceanic mirror would contain only the most
popular content, and based upon our latest discussion with Doug, it would
be uncapped for oceanic network users (roadrunner, earthlink, etc.) but a
limited cap for other Hawaii ISPs.

At this point because of our official status with the University, I hope
that we can get mirrors.hawaii.edu officially from ITS so we can have a
similar status that other Universities have.

> Do we want to mirror the 120 gb drive in Videl?  Should I get a 180 gb
> drive to make up for the lost 60gb drive?

We should get another 60GB drive to mirror the other 60GB drive.
Preferably of the same model so they both run with similar speed and
access times.  The exact model is $99 at local CompUSA, but I'm looking
for better deals elsewhere.  newegg might be the best deal because after
shipping it is lower than $99, without taxes.

> Debian powerpc was probably not part of the "deal" since it is on the
> fringe, but I use the repository pretty regularly.  It should go before
> Mandrake, but hopefully we will not get to that.

I'll use creative accounting (ugly mount --binds all over the place) in
order to avoid removing any PowerPC.  I was not aware that anybody was
actually using the Debian powerpc mirror, but now that I know, it needs to
be kept.

Warren