[luau] Linux in Hawaiian Industry

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Tue Aug 26 08:45:00 PDT 2003

Maui High Performance Computing Center:

http://www.mhpcc.edu/

has one of the largest Linux clusters in the world.  However, they want
people in the kernel development level.  For Sysadms, no one knows when
the dark age is going to be over.  Hawaii is no better than anywhere in
the world.  However, I have noticed that most employers (in the mainland
as well as in Taiwan and China, and I suppose Hawaii will soon follow)
nowadays require that qualified applicants have at least some background
in Linux.  Thus, experience in Linux may not be a sufficient condition
to get a job, but it appears to be a necessary condition.  And
increasingly so, in both the number of employers and the level of Linux
knowledge.

A friend of mine runs a network efficiency service company in Big
Island.  Last time I talked with him, they had 4 engineers in Oahu.  I
am not at liberty to disclose the name of his company, but I know most
network service companies would like to hire, if they hire at all and
everyone else being equal, someone with  good exposure to Linux.

Wayne