[luau] Linux in Hawaiian Industry

Steve Anderson emac at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 07:42:01 PDT 2003

Over the past 8 years that I have worked on Oahu, I have often spoke with
folks that support open source software applications. The jobs are not that
common though. I have not spoke with anyone that supports a linux-only or
linux-majority environment. Often, folks seem to support a few specialized
Linux systems that meet certain needs. It seems in these economic times,
system folks have to be a "jack-of-all-systems".  Also a lot of the system
admin/support/engineer jobs are with defense contractors supporting the
military and usually require a security clearance. The old catch-22 that has
been discussed here on Luau through the past years - Can't get the job
without the clearance, can't get the clearance without the job :) I have
supported Linux and BSD systems at military organizations. These folks have
and still employ everything from workstations, servers, and laptops.
Steve A.