[luau] Linux in Hawaiian Industry

Keith krjw at optonline.net
Tue Aug 26 09:15:00 PDT 2003

* Hawaii Linux Institute <wp at HawaiiLinux.us> [26/08/2003 1446EDT]:
> Maui High Performance Computing Center:
>
> http://www.mhpcc.edu/

Interesting.  I have not, until now, been aware of this.  Thanks for the
URL.

One URL I did come across (in a book about moving to Hawaii) is
http://www.mrtc.org/.  I'm not quite sure what that one's all about.

> has one of the largest Linux clusters in the world.  However, they want
> people in the kernel development level.  For Sysadms, no one knows when

I have never done kernel development because I've never had to.  This
does not mean I cannot do kernel development (C is my second native
tongue).  Not to mention this would require security clearance I do not
currently have.  grrr.  But worth a shot nonetheless.  I see there is a
"future" sys admin spot listed on the employment page.  Hmm.  And
multiple references to Boeing.  I've already applied w/ Boeing in Kihei
& have yet to hear back from a human. :)

I'm just excited to be moving over there and possibly being part of some
sort of "linux movement".  Hawaii is definitely behind the times
technologically and this opens the door for all sorts of opportunities.

> the dark age is going to be over.  Hawaii is no better than anywhere in
> the world.  However, I have noticed that most employers (in the mainland
> as well as in Taiwan and China, and I suppose Hawaii will soon follow)
> nowadays require that qualified applicants have at least some background
> in Linux.  Thus, experience in Linux may not be a sufficient condition
> to get a job, but it appears to be a necessary condition.  And
> increasingly so, in both the number of employers and the level of Linux
> knowledge.

As it should be.  Folks are only beginning to realize the amount of cash
they can save by deploying linux solutions.  I expect it to catch on
like wild fire everywhere, even more so than it already has.

> A friend of mine runs a network efficiency service company in Big
> Island.  Last time I talked with him, they had 4 engineers in Oahu.  I
> am not at liberty to disclose the name of his company, but I know most
> network service companies would like to hire, if they hire at all and
> everyone else being equal, someone with  good exposure to Linux.

This is good, solid info to help point me in the right direction.  I
appreciate your time.  Mahalo!

krjw.
--
Keith R. John Warno                  [k r j w  at  optonline dot net]
"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."
       -- George "Dubuhyuh" Bush, Reuters, May 5, 2000