[luau] Redhat 9.0 and video woes

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Apr 28 20:14:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 15:58, Matthew John Darnell wrote:

> I have a machine here that won't start the 9.0 graphical setup.  8.0 works
> fine as does Windoze 2000, trying Mandrake 9.1.  I guess RH 9.1 will fix
> some video issues.

Please provide more details about your video hardware and motherboard.

> I wonder if they rushed 9.0 to keep on the same numbering generation as
> Mandrake.  9.0 seemed to come out quickly after 8.0.  Didn't the 7.X go as
> high as 7.2?
>
> -Matt

Please do not speculate, because most speculation is wrong.

http://www.redhat.com/software/
Red Hat has chosen to split their products into two lines, consumer and
enterprise.

The consumer line that has and always will be free has accelerated in
development because they no longer need to maintain binary compatibility
with older distributions.  They have made indications that they no
longer will need to release point releases.  This means that R&D can
happen at a much faster pace, and every 6 months you can get the newest,
coolest stuff with the free version of Red Hat.  In order to reduce
their overhead and focus more engineer time on R&D, they only guarantee
to release updates for the consumer Linux distribution up to a year
after its release.

The enterprise line takes the best of the more experimental technology
and every 1.5 years releases a new product aimed for the
enterprise/business market where 6 month turnaround is too quick.  With
a much longer product QA cycle their enterprise linux distributions are
meant to be used for years without upgrading.  For technologists like me
that is a boring prospect, but consistency is important for business.
They guarantee 5 years of support for their enterprise Linux
distributions.

Their enterprise Linux distributions are not free, instead with a cost
and different support options attached to it.  Unlike SuSE however Red
Hat's Enterprise distributions are still 100% Open Source, so nothing
stops you from downloading all the source code, compiling and installing
it yourself.  You just don't get their support services.

Warren