[luau] Redhat 9.0 and video woes

Matthew John Darnell mdarnell at servpac.com
Tue Apr 29 12:20:01 PDT 2003

> On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 15:58, Matthew John Darnell wrote:
> >
> > I have a machine here that won't start the 9.0 graphical setup.  8.0
works
> > fine as does Windoze 2000, trying Mandrake 9.1.  I guess RH 9.1 will fix
> > some video issues.
>
> Please provide more details about your video hardware and motherboard.

The 9.0 install recognizes the video card as a "S3 ProSavage KM133", 8.0
loads the standard VESA driver.

The motherboard has the part number P4MFP533.

> http://www.redhat.com/software/
> Red Hat has chosen to split their products into two lines, consumer and
> enterprise.
>
> The consumer line that has and always will be free has accelerated in
> development because they no longer need to maintain binary compatibility
> with older distributions.  They have made indications that they no
> longer will need to release point releases.  This means that R&D can
> happen at a much faster pace, and every 6 months you can get the newest,
> coolest stuff with the free version of Red Hat.  In order to reduce
> their overhead and focus more engineer time on R&D, they only guarantee
> to release updates for the consumer Linux distribution up to a year
> after its release.

Their stance seems a lot of double speak.  In the past a dot release meant
smaller but significant improvements.  A rose by anyother name....

> The enterprise line takes the best of the more experimental technology
> and every 1.5 years releases a new product aimed for the
> enterprise/business market where 6 month turnaround is too quick.  With
> a much longer product QA cycle their enterprise linux distributions are
> meant to be used for years without upgrading.  For technologists like me
> that is a boring prospect, but consistency is important for business.
> They guarantee 5 years of support for their enterprise Linux
> distributions.
>
> Their enterprise Linux distributions are not free, instead with a cost
> and different support options attached to it.  Unlike SuSE however Red
> Hat's Enterprise distributions are still 100% Open Source, so nothing
> stops you from downloading all the source code, compiling and installing
> it yourself.  You just don't get their support services.
>
> Warren

They are certanly the leaders, I wonder if 9.0 will turn into their "Windows
ME" - a product really rushed that they wish they never had released.