[luau] New to the Area

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Wed Apr 23 00:34:01 PDT 2003

stimmy wrote:
> VH> Can you think of a better way to get to know the local geeks than
> VH> be the one responsible for rounding them up? :)
>
> Well the problem is that I don't KNOW any geeks. =v) Perhaps as I get
> to know people, I will make the attempt, but it's sort of round-about
> -- I ask you for ways to get to know geeks, and you say, "Well, when
> you do..." ;v). Aw well. I'm going to take a few Computer Science
> courses at Manoa, probably, as they are easy grades, and maybe I'll
> meet a few there. I know there's a pretty large number of gamers, but
> I don't know how to infiltrate that scene, and only one in ten of them
> are actually knowledgable about computing, especially *nix.

As you can see from the LUAU archives and from this developing thread,
our Linux community has some offerings.  We have this list, started in
the early 90's, and later revived/maintained by Warren (and the good
folks at UH and Oceanic).  As far as educational and or social
activities, you correctly note that we just don't seem to have as much
going on as other LUG'S.

You have seen that HOSEF has the bi-weekly meetings on Mondays and
Saturdays.  It is true, as Vince notes below, that these are primarily
for fulfilling our charitable mission of restoring surplus computers and
giving them away.  It is a great chance to meet some people.  These are
task oriented gatherings, though, so they are not appealing to all.

Maddog on the list has suggested a monthly meeting for those using Linux
and OS Software professionally.  It would be a great chance to talk shop
in some restaurant environment.  Meeting in restaurants/taverns have had
a lot of succcess.  Cpaul has noted this.  Cody, Jeff M, and now you
have asked about lan parties.  Perhaps this should be organized.  I
don't have the space for that, but we do have a dual athlon/1.5 gb ram
server to host a respectable party.

Many, like yourself, have wondered about get togethers for more advanced
topics.  It may be that this is the same type of thing that Maddog(Don)
has suggested, and we should start to schedule a restaurant type get
together for this.  That is easy and we are overdue.  If we would want
to do it with a computer display, then a few options exist and have existed.

For one, we now have a lot of computers delivered to and being delivered
to McKinley.  This is a DOE High School and Adult School.  As we refine
and tweak the installation, Michael is offering to host sessions at
McKinley.  By sessions I mean here is a room, here are computers,
instruct what you want.  These would be informal.  (He is also putting
some classes on the schedule that would be taught by some very smart
people, but funding is becoming questionable.)

Warren does sessions and will continue to do sessions.  He gets space at
UH for them.  We have a Large screen television, pc, 25 desks, and
projection capacity where we meet with HOSEF, but we are yet to offer
more advanced get togethers like you seek.

> I am all for supporting the scene, but I have not the resources to
> help out much. I do know enough about certain parts of administration
> and programming to give a lecture, but I loathe speaking in front of
> audiences, so I think that's also a mute point.

Some people don't like speaking in front of others.  You could just show
up on that day when some one uses one of the resources listed above for
  teaching about something you are interested in.  That is support
enough.  If you want to tinker, you can come by McKinley to help Michael
get the donated computers configured.  His location is downtown.

> VH> Sort of. The primary goal of the twice-a-week meetings are to
> VH> build systems to donate to the schools. The side-effect is
> VH> it allows volunteers hands on experience with fixing PCs and
> VH> installing Linux. There really is not enough room for a large
> VH> group of people to bring in their own systems.

We have room for systems.  If someone, up to six people, actually
brought in their PC, they would get help.

> That's pretty crazy, because I was actually considering doing
> something like this before I left, and definately had the resources to
> do so. I was planning on starting a non-profit organization, and
> building the computers from spare hardware gained from "donations"
> from the larger corporations in the state. I would then sell the
> computers with Linux installed for a small price to local schools, and
> possibly students (especially underprivileged, as there are a very
> good number in Maine), and possibly also offer support to the schools
> for the systems, at minimal fees.
>
> There are more details to the plan, but they're just the aftercare and
> all.

A very good plan.  Please help us to do it here.  We have very adequate
resources.  We have helped private and now public schools.  We have a
growing group of volunteers and could definitely use your smarts.

> VH> I suppose the message I am trying to get across is there have
> VH> been a lot suggestions made in the past that have not made much
> VH> progress. This was not because they were bad ideas, but simply
> VH> because no one took charge to bring the thoughts to life.
>
> This is the story of every project in the world. It only thrives if it
> has one or more motivated (or paid) participants.

We have more than one motivated participant within our midst.  What
Vince is getting at is that amongst the 250 of us on the list, some with
very good knowledge, fewer than 3 have offered to instruct or share the
advanced knowledge many seek and often request.  We definitely have the
facilities to host the sessions.  I will begin to offer beginning Linux
classes at McKinley or at Pricebusters this Summer.  Others will begin
to do more.

scott