[luau] New to the Area

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Apr 23 08:37:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 11:28:39PM -1000, stimmy wrote:
> Well the problem is that I don't KNOW any geeks. =v) Perhaps as
> I get to know people, I will make the attempt, but it's sort of
> round-about -- I ask you for ways to get to know geeks, and you
> say, "Well, when you do..." ;v).

You have just meet around 250 or so geeks. Most are pretty shy
and do not speak up. :)

Warren is holding a talk tonight. Unfortunately, I have a small
presentation at HCC to give tonight that happens to conflict with
Warren's. You may already be familiar with his first half of the
presentation, but do show up and get a glimpse of what his Fedora
project is all about. He likes to refer to it as making Red Hat
suck less, and I whole-heartedly agree. (I do fear success of
Fedora will take away some of Debian's steam.)

And you can show up to HOSEF's meetings on Saturday to at least
meet a few of the regulars there.

> Aw well. I'm going to take a few Computer Science courses at
> Manoa, probably, as they are easy grades, and maybe I'll meet a
> few there. I know there's a pretty large number of gamers, but
> I don't know how to infiltrate that scene, and only one in ten
> of them are actually knowledgable about computing, especially
> *nix.

I am hoping to set up a Linux-based curriculum at HCC that can be
offered during the summer that will go beyond what is currently
being offered. I am scheduled to teach a Linux and Samba class
during the next two weeks, but there are no signups yet.

> I am all for supporting the scene, but I have not the resources
> to help out much. I do know enough about certain parts of
> administration and programming to give a lecture, but I loathe
> speaking in front of audiences, so I think that's also a mute
> point.

That still leaves room to organize.

> Well, let me know what you think.

You are already doing your part. Look at all the discussion you
managed to generate!!

-Vince