[luau] New to the Area

stimmy stimmy at panax.com
Tue Apr 22 23:29:00 PDT 2003

VH> Can you think of a better way to get to know the local geeks than
VH> be the one responsible for rounding them up? :)

Well the problem is that I don't KNOW any geeks. =v) Perhaps as I get
to know people, I will make the attempt, but it's sort of round-about
-- I ask you for ways to get to know geeks, and you say, "Well, when
you do..." ;v). Aw well. I'm going to take a few Computer Science
courses at Manoa, probably, as they are easy grades, and maybe I'll
meet a few there. I know there's a pretty large number of gamers, but
I don't know how to infiltrate that scene, and only one in ten of them
are actually knowledgable about computing, especially *nix.

I am all for supporting the scene, but I have not the resources to
help out much. I do know enough about certain parts of administration
and programming to give a lecture, but I loathe speaking in front of
audiences, so I think that's also a mute point.

VH> Sort of. The primary goal of the twice-a-week meetings are to
VH> build systems to donate to the schools. The side-effect is
VH> it allows volunteers hands on experience with fixing PCs and
VH> installing Linux. There really is not enough room for a large
VH> group of people to bring in their own systems.

That's pretty crazy, because I was actually considering doing
something like this before I left, and definately had the resources to
do so. I was planning on starting a non-profit organization, and
building the computers from spare hardware gained from "donations"
from the larger corporations in the state. I would then sell the
computers with Linux installed for a small price to local schools, and
possibly students (especially underprivileged, as there are a very
good number in Maine), and possibly also offer support to the schools
for the systems, at minimal fees.

There are more details to the plan, but they're just the aftercare and
all.

VH> I suppose the message I am trying to get across is there have
VH> been a lot suggestions made in the past that have not made much
VH> progress. This was not because they were bad ideas, but simply
VH> because no one took charge to bring the thoughts to life.

This is the story of every project in the world. It only thrives if it
has one or more motivated (or paid) participants.

Well, let me know what you think.

James