[luau] New to the Area

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Apr 22 21:34:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:34:22PM -1000, stimmy wrote:
> I don't think that I would be the one to organize such a thing,
> as I just moved here. I'd definately help out, if you needed
> it, though.

Can you think of a better way to get to know the local geeks than
be the one responsible for rounding them up? :)

> Doesn't HOSEF have install-fests every week, though? Again,
> what I was looking for was something a little bit beyond an
> install-fest. =v)

Sort of. The primary goal of the twice-a-week meetings are to
build systems to donate to the schools. The side-effect is
it allows volunteers hands on experience with fixing PCs and
installing Linux. There really is not enough room for a large
group of people to bring in their own systems.

I suppose the message I am trying to get across is there have
been a lot suggestions made in the past that have not made much
progress. This was not because they were bad ideas, but simply
because no one took charge to bring the thoughts to life.

-Vince