[luau] PATRIOT act may become permanent

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Apr 9 19:31:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 16:47, Jim at jimroby.com wrote:
> this gives the Feds the right to tap your phone without court order,
> investigate your reading preferences in a public library,and a slew of
> other anti-constitutional privledges.I believe in some cases it suspends
> habeus corpus.Certain portions of the Act were instutited on a temp
> basis(due to expirt in '05) due to paranoia over 9/11...the Republican
> party is now trying to overturn the temp provisions and make it the law
> of the new police state.

Some guy on Slashdot said:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/04/09/1534234&mode=thread&tid=158&tid=103
"You can be detained, without being charged, indefinitely, having been
investigated under a sealed warrant, an unsigned warrant, or no warrant
at all, and then be denied access to a lawyer."

Uh... does not a document called the US Constitution expressly forbid
this kind of thing?  I guess that document isn't important anymore.

- Benjamin Franklin

(There seems to be 5 different versions of this quote all over the
Internet, I have no idea what the exact wording is.)

more info...

http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Surveillance/Terrorism_militias/20011031_eff_usa_patriot_analysis.html
EFF Analysis Of The Provisions Of The USA PATRIOT Act
That Relate To Online Activities (Oct 31, 2001)

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com