More Mail Q's; was Re: [luau] Blocking mail relayers

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Sep 26 10:21:01 PDT 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 09:12 am, Erich S. wrote:

> -- Is it very complicated to set up IMAP to operate in a secure fashion?
> IE. be able to use Outlook Express from my work assigned laptop and have
> access to my mail folders remotely? (I an old skool PINEr myself when
> logged locally or through SSH).

I use imap over ssl to check my mail on the "gatherer."  It is a debian box,
and, I must confess that installation/configuration consisted of apt-get
imapd-ssl (which removed my non ssl version while maintaining unencrypted
logins) and nothing more.  I was able to set Outlook on win2k, Evolution on
rhat7.2, Kmail on ibookdebian, and mail.app on OSX on a fourth to login
securely.  I use wireless alot, so, this was my only permitted option.

I think it is safe to assume that installation on another distribution is as
simple as installing the appropriate package/port for secure imap (provided
you have ssl installed).

scott