More Mail Q's; was Re: [luau] Blocking mail relayers

Erich S. sharky at websharx.com
Thu Sep 26 09:09:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Mike Ballon wrote:

> This doesn't look like a relay attempt but normal spam using an e-mail
> address generator destained for your domain and the user(s) didn't exist.

[snipped mail logs showing attempts to spamify me...sans rice]

Thanks Mike, Florian, et al. for the helpful advice!

It was nice to be able to actually block the IP of the sender. I'd never
been able to get it to work with RH6.x setup, got frustrated and gave up.

I'm trying to learn more about various options for mail setup/retrieval
and the discussion on the list has had some good info.

* Warren, you mentioned IMAP as a viable option. A loooong time ago with
my first slackware setup I enjoyed IMAP because I could leave my folders
on my server (unlimited space). I was warned that IMAP was a security risk
and wasn't very private.

-- Is it very complicated to set up IMAP to operate in a secure fashion?
IE. be able to use Outlook Express from my work assigned laptop and have
access to my mail folders remotely? (I an old skool PINEr myself when
logged locally or through SSH).

-- It sounds like squirrel mail would be a viable web alternative for when
I'm using someone else's machine to read mail. Is it correct to assume
that making this secure would be dependent upon getting SSL to work on the
web server? (The squirrel mail setup link on mplug doesn't appear to work
anymore http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/sysadmin/0064.html)

* Config Question - I've got a tough nut to crack. I had found some old
tutorials on doing this from a guy in Germany a year or so ago that had
good instruction on putting together Apache/PHP/mySQL/SSL/ AND *yikes*
FrontPage Server extensions. Recent searches on google don't turn up the
dudes pages anymore (I should saved the link or files, and I've lost my
printout with notes).

Has anyone seen any good how-to/tutorials on doing a FrontPage enabled
LAMP setup with RH7.3? Barring that, a step-by-step on doing a LAMP setup?
(hopefully that explains what is being done as opposed to just being a
checklist).

Again, thanks guys for the past info. I'm writing notes on this particular
setup and if others are interested would be happy to post it to the mplug
wiki so others can benefit from my bruises. :)

Aloha,
	Sharky