[luau] New Linux Worm Threatens Serious Denial Of Service Attacks Sept. 16, 2002

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Sep 23 15:35:01 PDT 2002

Well, I was at work today and they were talking about how they installed
"Jaguar" on all of our macs.  I thought that meant OSX10.2, but since we
used to have 10.1 on those, I figure it had to be some special program.  But
sure enough it was just OS 10.2.  So I was thinking that if packagers made
fancier, more powerful names for routine security packages, maybe people
would be more excited about them.  For instance, instead of Win2K service
pack 4, call it "Centurion".  Instead of OpenSSL-x.x.x, call it
OpenSSL-Wild-Tiger.  That way people would be like, "What openSSL do you
have?"  "Oh, I have Charging Buffalo installed."  "There's a security hole
in that one.  You should upgrade at least to Wild Tiger."

But seriously, does "Jaguar" actually do anything worthy of giving it its
own name?

-Eric Hattemer