[luau] New Linux Worm Threatens Serious Denial Of Service Attacks Sept. 16, 2002

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Sep 19 07:41:01 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 09:36 am, Jon Reynolds wrote:

>  Would you also recommend using the ximian red-carpet to help install
> updates as well?

When Ximian gnome was becoming stable, I installed it.  I installed it
because it had a gui in the control panel to set up Internet sharing.  It had
Evolution, which I really liked.  I used red-carpet for a while to keep
things up to date.  It worked.

At some point there was an update for Redhat that I needed but had not been
made available yet via ximian.  I ran up2date only to find that there were a
ton of RedHat packages in my up2date list.  Many were packages that I had
installed already, but with ximian extensions.  This concerned me, so I
installed the redhat versions.  My next red-carpet update wanted to replace
these 40 megs of packages with ximian's version.  I said no and never looked
back.

Now, I cannot upgrade mozilla to Redhat's newest supported version in 7.2.  I
mean, I could, but, ximian packages have some dependency on the current
version of mozilla that I have.  I am wary of breaking dependencies.  But, I
now have un-updated ximian packages.  I tried the other day to run red-carpet
for the heck of it.  It no longer launches.  I will eventually reinstall.

Moral of my story:  use red-carpet if you intend to stay with that Desktop
for the installed life of your OS.  Otherwise, you may want to just stay with
your distributor's update system.  Now, I just use MonMotha's firewall script
for internet sharing (so much faster and easier than a gui) and Debian Woody
offers Evolution - evolution in a stable debian distro is as good as it gets.

scott