[luau] NFS problem

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 20 12:31:00 PDT 2002

>Check this URL, too:
>
>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/troubleshooting.html#SYMPTOM3
>
>actually you might want to read the whole howto:
>
>http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/

Actually, I'd been there already, but as I am learning is often the case with
linux how-to's, it addresses a level of abstraction that is not really useful
to a newbie redhat user like me. In the section about setting up the nfs daemons
it talks quite vaguely about putting stuff in the init scripts. Redhat already
has the init scripts written, I just needed to know the command to make them
active. Following that how-to would have just got me in trouble, though it may
have made me more well-informed. (Of course, if I was *smart* I'd have known
I needed to go to redhat's site as soon as I saw those start-up scripts on my
disk, but my brain had to curdle for a while.)

And as long as I am ranting, I might as well complain about redhat's site -
I found the stuff I needed rather by accident when I wasn't in the lab, then
I couldn't find it for a while when I went back to the lab. This is because
the section on "configuring NFS daemons" (easy to find by searching for "nfs
daemons") has no link or reference to the section on "exporting an nfs filesystem"
(hard to find except by luck) which had what I really wanted in it. You'd think
they were sort of related, why not link? Am I going to configure and then not
export?

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion, I certainly don't mean to take all this out
on you. I appreciate your help.

Daffy Dave