[luau] NFS problem

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 20 18:13:00 PDT 2002

>I hope it's not in the kernel, it sort of "breaks" NFS to match the SGI bug.

Well actually I briefly looked at the patch, it's not automatic.  A
patched kernel still has to turn on the compatibiltiy
mode with a kernel line option.(lh=1 or something like that)

>so I tried [mount -t nfs 192.168.1.141:/abyss /tmp/somewhere] and it worked!
>I guess localhost is mapping to 127.0.0.1 which is excluded  by my /etc/exports
>file.

right.

>Now it works on the SG, but only if I use the command line. I had been using
>their GUI filesystem manager, but it still can't find the /abyss directory.

Well, if you add it to your /etc/fstab then it should be just a one time
change (weird that the GUI interface
doesn't work tho)

>It even works on the SGIs with the old OS, so I guess the patch did get rolled
>into the kernel. Or else maybe the bug is intermittent/slow to show a problem?

My understanding is with older versions of IRIX things like "ls" when
there are a lot of files in a directory
won't work, but yea it's possible that they've found a way to work
around the problem automatically.
Those linux kernel hackers are pretty smart :-)

--Ray