[luau] New Linux Worm Threatens Serious Denial Of Service Attacks Sept. 16, 2002

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 22:27:00 PDT 2002

>At first when I heard of Red Carpet, up2date, urpmi, and apt-rpm didn't
>exist.

Actually, urpmi was around a _long_ time before Red Carpet.

>  There were no automatic RPM dependency tools, so I was excited
>about Mono.

Mono? :-)

>Ximian has always been in bitter disagreements with Red Hat, and as a
>
>result their packages are very incompatible.

oh? I don't remember anything.

>I'd really like for someone to prove me wrong, but I personally feel
>that Ximian Gnome has no real benefits.

Ximian produced a usable distribution of Gnome when no one else did.
Since then, others have produced good versions of Gnome, too, so Ximian's
distro is less important.  Ximian hasn't released a distribution of Gnome
for the 2.0 platform, so Ximian Gnome isn't up to date. When they do
release a version then it will be interesting to see how it compares.

--Ray