[luau] New Linux Worm Threatens Serious Denial Of Service Attacks Sept. 16, 2002

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 18 21:54:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 09:36, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 22:07, Warren Togami wrote:
>   Here's a list of
> > several:
> >
> > Red Hat		up2date
> > Mandrake	rpmdrake or urpmi
> > SuSE		YAST2
> > Debian		apt-get
> > Conectiva	apt-rpm
> > Gentoo		emerge
> >
>  Would you also recommend using the ximian red-carpet to help install
> updates as well?
>
> Jon

At first when I heard of Red Carpet, up2date, urpmi, and apt-rpm didn't
exist.  There were no automatic RPM dependency tools, so I was excited
about Mono.

Unfortunately initial Red Carpets were very unreliable.  Now things are
considerably improved, but those other tools have surpassed Red Carpet
in functionality.  I also don't feel Ximian Gnome has any real value
over the Gnome distributions in the latest Linux distributions.  Ximian
has always been in bitter disagreements with Red Hat, and as a result
their packages are very incompatible.   Ximian Gnome makes for a
nightmare in Red Hat's update cycle.  Might as well wipe out and
re-install if you want to upgrade to a new version of Red Hat.  IMHO,
Ximian's Gnome distribution always seemed to be a few steps behind Red
Hat and Mandrake during the Gnome 1.x days.  I remember installing
Ximian, only to find that I lost several features like GAIM server side
buddy lists because the Ximian packages were older than Red Hat and
Mandrake's of the time.

I'd really like for someone to prove me wrong, but I personally feel
that Ximian Gnome has no real benefits.  Don't get me wrong, while I
don't like their product, I do applaud their continued work on Gnome and
Mono, the fully Open Source implementation of Microsoft's .NET platform.

http://www.go-mono.com/
Check out the Mono project site... tons of stuff like C# compiler, VM,
JIT, ADO.NET, ASP.NET, Windows.Forms, GTK#, and core libraries.  Mono is
quickly approaching what will one day be a production .NET platform for
any operating system.  Mono currently runs on Windows and Linux, and
will one day run on MacOS X and IIRC the BSD operating systems.

While it is true that .NET exists for BSD in the form of Rotor, it is
only available under Microsoft's "Shared Source" license which is purely
for academic use only, no commercial use.  This means that Mono is the
only chance for non-Windows systems to have a fully functional .NET
platform that can be used for commercial purposes.