[luau] 9/10/2002 - MPLUG Status... HELP!

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Wed Sep 11 20:27:01 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 07:26 pm, you wrote:

> I don't think I have an easy solution to replace a dual parallel port
> print server.  In theory I wouldn't have to, since this thing is
> supposed to be configurable to use SMB protocol.  I just can't figure
> out how.

I am not sure what kind of config interface the intel printserver offers, but
you should be able to assign it an ip address.  You should be able to
configure the two ports with separate queue names.  I have one in our network
that I believe had default queue names of lpt1 and lpt2.

On your linuxbox you would just add the printers and set them up to print to
the ip address.  Printtool is very intuitive.  I have several printcap
entries that we use to print to jetdirects, netgear's product, and some
really inexpensive generic model if they would be helpful to you. We do this
all over the island.

You could replace the intel server with two $50 printservers that I have seen
and used, but I presume that the school has no money.  If the printers are
near your server, you could just add a second parallel port and let it be the
server.  If nothing else, I am sure that we have enough of a box in our LTSP
project collection for a dual port freesco printserver.

scott