[luau] 9/10/2002 - MPLUG Status... HELP!

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 11 20:46:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 20:30, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> I am not sure what kind of config interface the intel printserver offers, but
> you should be able to assign it an ip address.  You should be able to
> configure the two ports with separate queue names.  I have one in our network
> that I believe had default queue names of lpt1 and lpt2.

The Intel print server is supposed to be configurable through a web
based interface, but we can't seem to access that interface nor can we
ping the print server even though the diagnostic says it has an IP
address.  Zero responses on TCP/IP.

> On your linuxbox you would just add the printers and set them up to print to
> the ip address.  Printtool is very intuitive.  I have several printcap
> entries that we use to print to jetdirects, netgear's product, and some
> really inexpensive generic model if they would be helpful to you. We do this
> all over the island.
>
> You could replace the intel server with two $50 printservers that I have seen
> and used, but I presume that the school has no money.  If the printers are
> near your server, you could just add a second parallel port and let it be the
> server.  If nothing else, I am sure that we have enough of a box in our LTSP
> project collection for a dual port freesco printserver.
>
> scott

What motherboards have two parallel ports?  I don't have any computers
with two parallel ports.  If I did have one, yes that would be a very
easy solution... though less robust than making that Intel print server
to do its job properly.