[luau] 9/10/2002 - MPLUG Status... HELP!

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 11 19:20:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 13:59, MonMotha wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Samba for their print queue (while adding file services.)  Main problem
> > that I see in this is that we seem to be completely unable to reach the
> > Intel NetExpress Pro/100 control panel through any TCP/IP means.  The
> > diagnostic printout shows that it has an IP address, but it doesn't
> > respond to any type of requests or pings.  Any ideas?
> >

> Replace it :)  Honestly, a new "dumb print server" with a paralell port
> on it (such as an HP JetDirect) shouldn't cost too much, and they
> actually have decent admin tools.
>
> --MonMotha

The Intel NetExpress Pro/100 has two parallel ports plugged into HP
LaserJet 4 printers, load balanced print jobs.  They don't want to get
rid of the Laserjet 4 printers for a while because they bought tons of
extra toner for that model.

I don't think I have an easy solution to replace a dual parallel port
print server.  In theory I wouldn't have to, since this thing is
supposed to be configurable to use SMB protocol.  I just can't figure
out how.