[luau] HELP: File/ProgresSQL backup utilities

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 4 18:42:00 PDT 2002

whenever wrote:
> Does anyone know any good file backup utilities to do backups on DLT4000
> (10/20G) ? What's a good way to backup the progres database? Do I dump the
> records then backup the dump or does progres has build in backup like some
> other SQL server ? I am looking at few millions records a month on that
> database, we push the tables off every month and keep 2 months record active.
> Oh.. it's on a FreeBSD system running RAID 5,  I am ok if just one drive die,
> but losing two drives at the same time will be the killer, and I never do any
> backup on it yet.

I have no idea how to solve your backup problems, but you bring up an
important point I think deserves reiterating in light of the
proliferaton of RAID arrays.

RAID 1 and RAID 5 may protect you from a hard drive failing, but it
won't guard against user error.  Typing "rm -rf /" is just as deadly on
a system with a RAID array as it is on a system running from a floppy!
Either way, you're reaching for your backups (or getting down and dirty
with debugfs, which is no fun, trust me).

Keep good backups!

> Thanks for the help

Not a problem, though I didn't help much :)  Often, these questions can
depend on if you are able to take the system offline while the dump is
performed or not though, so you may wish to specify if that is a
possibility or not (usually not).

--MonMotha