[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Thu Sep 5 05:02:01 PDT 2002

> If this is the "character" that
> you want for this group, then please continue the bashing.  Just
> because all other Linux User Groups do it, does that make it right?

I consider a local user mailing list to be from the shallow trenches, with
usenet, irc to be the deeper holes and many web sites to be above ground.
Keeping that in mind, there are places out there that will fit anyones
level of comfort with the topic discussions and the feedback they can
offer.  As a general rule, the easier and faster that feedback or two-way
communication can occur, the "rougher" the forum becomes.  Consider Hawaii
political views.  You can read official press releases, newspaper articles,
editorial sections, read  hawaii.politics. on usenet, or meet weekly in the
hills.  Each has its own character and each has its own interpetation of
the subjects.  The level or type of content YOU consider unacceptable
or "childish" is strictly up to you.

> With the Linux for Schools project successfully underway, more and more
> educators and non-techies are joining this mailing list.  The
> self-censorship that MonMotha mentioned would be ideal, and possibly
> crucial, to keep these people interested in the Open Source community.
> Wouldn't they rather trust a group of individuals who can express their
> ideas and opinions eloquently?

I agree that LUAU mailing list may not be the place for the person not
really interested with the technical aspects of Linux.  That's what web
pages, weekly mailings, MODERATED lists, and marketing departments are for.
I don't think that this was ever the primary goal here.  If the list is
going this route it would be a change from what it has been for the past 5
years.  Not that change is bad but it would not be the same environment as
it has been.  I simply ignore topics or users that I have no interest in.

I think what Warren and every single person involved working with the
community is nothing short of outstanding.  I view the mailing list as the
more technical background and discussion of these ideas and Linux in
general, not the front door for this effort.

Just my .02