[luau] ics412: operating systems

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Oct 21 22:05:00 PDT 2002

I didn't mean to imply that any univeristy thinks  C is obsolete.  I was
just exagerating to point out that some universities get people hooked on
procedures and C, and others get people hooked on objects and C++/Java.
Sometimes I do feel like C is obsolete compared to C++, though.  C++ from
what I've seen (and experienced today) is harder to compile.  But a lot of
modern compilers accept mixes of C and C++ or at least C code in C++
programs (you might need to support it with the C libraries).  Because of
this I sometimes feel like C++ is just a better version of C.  I know its
not really true.  But as far as ease of use goes, I'd much rather use C++
than C, even in a procedural program.  And I still say to use C in an object
oriented manner is evil.

-Eric Hattemer