[luau] ics412: operating systems

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Oct 22 22:21:00 PDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Eric Hattemer wrote:
>Sometimes I do feel like C is obsolete compared to C++, though.

I assume you mean for applications?  This seems to be the consensus.  I
don't know why people still use C for large applications, like GNOME.
C++ would be a much better choice.

But for system level programming, C is still best.  If C++ was used, a lot
of the C++ features would have to be avoided.  This defeats the purpose of
using C++ in the first place.  I don't see how it could be possible to
write an efficient operating system using all of the features of C++.

>C++ from what I've seen (and experienced today) is harder to compile.

What do you mean?  You're not compiling C++ by hand, are you?  ;-)

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org