[luau] ics412: operating systems

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 21 21:44:00 PDT 2002

At 06:42 PM 9/30/2002 -0700, Eric Hattemer wrote:
>A lot of other universities have taken Java and objects as the greatest
>new thing ever.  They preach these, and consider C to be old and
>obsolete.

This probably has a lot to do with the problem - java is used almost
exclusively outside of the OS courses at UH.

OOP and procedural are different paradigms, and when you're just getting
started it's confusing to have to switch. Also, UH is typical of CS
programs in that it really is not set up to teach you practical skills but
to make sure you're familiar with a lot of theories and concepts. It's hard
to learn to program in a university, at least not in class, at least not
the sort of programming that people will offer to pay you money to do. It's
more likely that you'll learn on the job. Or you could take some summer
time (or do an independent study?) working on a real open source project.
Though even that is fairly limited if you don't get much F2F with other
programmers. But at least you'll be working on code that is not all yours.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is saying C is completely obsolete, are
they? I'd say they just want to foil the imperialistic tendencies of a
language that was designed for and is excellent for OS development, but has
no particular business being the standard implementation language for
application development. Or are they really suggesting that C++ should be
used for OS development too? Are they going to write java VMs in java and
cross-compile them somehow? Or beg the hardware designers to put a VM on a
chip for us?

Didactic Dave