[luau] smb copy question

Michael Ableyev charon at netzero.net
Mon Oct 21 19:42:00 PDT 2002

Alvin Murphy wrote:

 > I can connect to the other machines by
 > smbmount, but since this is a laptop, I would like to be able to copy
 > the files to carry with me.

Automount might be a solution for ya.
Here's my (sloppy?) setup:

attached rc.auto_mount would goto /etc/rc.d, it's the start / stop / restart script
it looks for config files in /etc/auto_mount (make sure those config files are
only readble by the user that start automount)
here's an example of the config files:

win1.auto
==================
OUNTPOINT=/mnt/winmachine1
TIMEOUT=60
==================

win1.map
==================
c -fstype=smbfs,username=JD,password=passwerd     ://winmachine1/C\$
root -fstype=smbfs,username=JD,password=passwerd  ://winmachine1/root
please notice the \ before $, its an escape character, not knowing it is
supposed to be there caused me lots of headaches!

and then u can make nice little links (shotcuts) to /mnt/winmachine1/c on your
KDE desktop.
every time u (or an application) access the directory it will mount the share
and dismount it after u dont access it for a minute

eh.. make sure you have automount installed