[luau] Proposed list guidelines

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Oct 21 06:44:00 PDT 2002

Joe Linux wrote:

> R. Scott Belford wrote:
>
>> I tried to address this with the following: "Responding to other
>> members on the list to address personal issues is generally
>> discouraged.  This is a gathering.  If you have an issue with a
>> person at a gathering, you don't disrespect the peace of the others
>> by publicizing your personal grievances.  This communication is best
>> left off the list."
>>
>> scott
>>
> Again I feel that the term "generally discouraged" should be "strongly
> discourage".   I would rewrite the above passage as follows:
>
> "Responding in a derogatory or insulting manner to other members on
> the list is assiduously forbidden.  Our mission is to promote
> fellowship within the open source community; and in turn, share our
> fellowship with the larger community of all computer users.  If you
> have a dislike, or hatred toward a particular individual,  you don't
> disrupt the harmony of the community by publicly insulting that
> individual and displaying your personal grievances, hatreds, and
> prejudice. "
>
> The reason I suggest this language as it addresses exactly what
> certain members have been doing on this list.

The issues of our community goals are mentioned elsewhere in the
greeting/policy.  By suggesting this change to address a specific
member, you are inherently nudging against the policy. We all know what
"certain members" are doing, it is a mailing list.  Enough  said.
 Ignore those you think have taken a personal shot at you.  Please don't
respond to them in kind as I see a following post has.

scott